Yesternight, Blogger Edgar Obare, media personality Betty Kyalo and comedian Erastus Otieno, popularly known as Flaqo Raz were among 19 winners of the inaugural Africa Digital Influencer Awards (ADIA20).
The event, the first of its kind in Africa, featured 20 categories was held at Konza Technopolis.
Full list of winners:
- Fitness Influencer of the Year Eliud Kipchoge- Winner
- Health & Nutrition Influencer of the Year Kaluhi’s Kitchen- Winner
- Woman Fashion Influencer of the Year Wanjiru Njiru- Winner
- Man Fashion Influencer of the Year Gee Dufanda- Winner
- Newcomer of the Year Cartoon Comedian- Winner
- Social Good/Warrior Influencer of the Year Boniface Mwangi- Winner
- TV/Online Influencer of the Year Betty Kyalo- Winner
- Man Lifestyle Influencer of the Year The Dapper Brother- Winner
- Woman Lifestyle Influencer of the Year Wambosha Maxine- Winner
- Beauty Influencer of the Year Joan Kinuthia- Winner
- Content Creator of the Year Blessed Njugush- Winner
- Most Influential Podcast The Cyco Podcast – Winner
- Comedian Influencer of the Year Crazy Kennar – Winner
- Best Use of Video Jacky Vike – Tusker – Winner
- Disruptor of the Year Flaqo Raz- Winner
- Go Beyond Influencer of the year Crazy Kennar- Winner
- Influencer of the Year Flaqo Raz- Winner
- Most Influential Digital Leader Mohammed Hersi- Winner
- People’s Choice Award Edgar Obare-Winner
The winners were identified as digital influencers who used their talents on digital platforms to inspire and impact society positively in Kenya and Africa last year.
The event was attended by Kilome Member of Parliament (MP), Mr. Thaddeus Nzambia, Konza Technopolis Development Authority (KoTDA) Chairman, Dr. Reuben Mutiso, CEO Eng. John Tanui and Africa Digital Leadership Principal & Co-Founder Mr. Chris Bitti is aimed at enhancing the use of digital media to develop the economy.
Speaking during the ceremony, Mr. Nzambia congratulated the winners, adding that as legislators, they will continue to develop laws that promote the creative industry.
“For us to choose Konza as a host, we reckon that they have understood that content creation is instrumental in promoting digital transformation and it’s really going to fuel a lot of digital growth. Despite Konza being a construction site, a lot of horizontal infrastructures have gone on and this is the future,” said Mr. Bitti.
While urging the participants to keep doing the best in their creative spaces to advance the industry to greater levels, Mr. Bitti said they look forward to holding the awards on an annual basis in order to improve the industry’s standards.
“This is an industry that has a lot of potential to employ our young people. Together with our partners, we will do our very best to hold it annually,” he said.
On his part, Eng. Tanui used the opportunity to highlight the benefits of Konza’s Digital Media City to the creative industry players and urged them to be part of the project.
“We are glad to have hosted the ADIA awards in partnership with Safaricom and EABL. At Konza, we have one specific project we are in the process of developing and it is the Digital Media City (DMC) which will comprise of TV broadcasting, animation and gaming, filming and photography, and ICT programming. This is envisioned to drive Kenya’s creative industry to higher levels and also generate investment and job opportunities for our people,” said the CEO.
He added: “Towards this dream, I’m glad to inform you that recently, the Government through the Ministry of ICT, Innovation and Youth Affairs in collaboration with South Korean government launched a feasibility study for the Konza Digital Media City (DMC) project that is being implemented here with the support of Korea-Exim Bank.”
Earlier during the day, a team from Konza Technopolis took a maiden trip to Konza Station from Nairobi Railways Station. The route, set to open up connectivity between the two cities, is part of the Nairobi Integrated Urban Development Master Plan which is being implemented to end vehicular congestion in the Central Business District (CBD).
The event was sponsored by KoTDA, Safaricom Limited, and East African Breweries Limited (EABL).