Apple, the tech giant, has unveiled its latest products – the iPhone 15 and Watch Series 9, along with the second generation of Watch Ultra at the “Wonderlust” Apple event held on Tuesday, 12th September 2023.
The iPhone 15 Lineup
The iPhone 15 lineup includes the iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 Pro Max models.
The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus, both equipped with 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays respectively, maintain the same screen sizes as their predecessors – the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus.
- They now feature the Dynamic Island. and are available in five new colors: pink, yellow, green, blue, and black.
Premium Models: iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max
For the premium iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max models, priced at $999 and $1,199 respectively:
- They now feature an “action button” in lieu of the mute switch. This button can be customized for various functions. Additionally,
- Apple has opted for titanium instead of stainless steel for the sidebars of these models.
- The Pro models will be available in four new finishes, including black titanium, white titanium, blue titanium, and natural titanium.
- In compliance with European legislation, Apple has transitioned to the USB-C charging standard from the existing Lightning port for the new iPhones and AirPods Pro. This shift to USB-C will simplify the process of transferring high-quality videos directly from the iPhone to external hard drives, catering to professionals’ needs.
- All the latest models boast a 48-megapixel primary camera, with the flagship Pro Max offering 5X optical zoom and 3X telephoto capabilities. With the Pro models, users can capture “spatial” or three-dimensional videos, which can be viewed on Apple’s upcoming Vision Pro headset.
- The new iPhone lineup’s satellite connectivity can now be utilized to request roadside assistance, a feature introduced in partnership with the American Automobile Association in the United States.
The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus, starting at $799 and $899 respectively, are powered by the A16 bionic chip. On the other hand, the iPhone 15 Pro and the Pro Max will be driven by the A17 Pro chip. This hardware configuration makes the Pro models suitable for high-end mobile gaming, according to the company.
Apple has also emphasized that the batteries used in the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus are constructed entirely from recycled cobalt, aligning with their sustainability efforts.
Apple Watches: Series 9 and Watch Ultra
Apple unveiled the Watch Series 9 and the second generation of the Watch Ultra, maintaining the same dimensions as their predecessors.
These latest timepieces are equipped with the next-generation S9 chip, which enhances animations and visual effects. This marks the first processor upgrade since Apple introduced the Series 6 lineup in 2020.
New features include
- The introduction of “double tap,” a novel gesture function for controlling the watch without needing to touch its screen, along with enhancements in dictation and screen brightness.
- The Watch Ultra 2 comes with a customized watch face that can display more workout-related information and an improved battery life that can last up to 36 hours under normal use and an impressive 72 hours on a low-power setting.
Pricing for the Series 9 begins at $399 while Ultra maintains its price point at $799.
Apple’s commitment to sustainability is evident with Series 9 as it marks its first carbon-neutral product. Additionally, starting this year all watch manufacturing will be powered by 100% clean energy, aligning with their sustainability efforts.