YouTube is notorious for intrusive ads nowadays, while watching ads puts food on the table for your favorite creators, watching two full music videos in-between content is a bit too much.
Ads on Android TV are even worse, skipping them on Android devices is easy enough with just a click, and with the plethora of options to block ads on PC, it is only fair I show you how to block ads on your TV.
This solution only works on Android TVs as it needs you to sideload an app. Unfortunately, platforms such as Tizen in Samsung TVs, or webOS on LG smart TVs don’t allow you to do this. You can read about the differences between Android TVs and Smart TVs here.
How to Block YouTube Ads on your Android TV
- Head over to github and download SmartTubeNext, an Ad free app for watching tube videos on Android TV boxes previously known as Smart Youtube App.
- Sideload the app on your Android TV. There are many ways you can do this,
- you can download the app on your PC and transfer it to the TV via a flash drive, navigate to the drive using a file manager app and install the app. ( you will need to enable installing apps from unknown sources in settings)
- Alternatively, you can upload the file to your Google Drive, and access it from the Google Drive TV app
- You can also download the app on your phone and send it to your Android TV using the Send files to TV app.
- Once SmartTubeNext is installed, just run it and enjoy YouTube with no ads. P.s You can still login into your Youtube account.
Remember, by blocking ads this way you are essentially taking away bread from your favorite creators’ table, to view YouTube without ads while still supporting creators, you can opt for YouTube Premium instead.