Ever wondered whether you can disable ads on Xiaomi smartphones? The Chinese smartphone manufacturer is one of the largest smartphone brands in Kenya due to its budget-friendly smartphones, however, in order to offer these devices at affordable costs, Xiaomi’s custom skin based on Android 11, the MIUI 12 contains ads that are sprinkled all throughout.
Now, while Xiaomi said MIUI 12 has a one-tap option to disable system-wide ads, the feature is not in the global build.
How to Disable Ads on Xiaomi (MIUI 12)
Disabling the MSA process
To begin our process of disabling ads, we will have to cut off a few things at the source. One of these is MSA or MIUI System Ads, which is one of the biggest reasons for seeing ads in stock apps. To disable it:
- Open the Settings app.
- Click on Passwords & security > Authorisation & revocation.
- disable msa.
- scroll down and disable GetApps as well.
- You’ll get a 10-second warning message, asking you if you’re sure you want to do it.
- After the countdown, press Revoke. In case it doesn’t let you toggle it off in the first go, (which shouldn’t be the case), try it again till it’s off.
- Even if you reboot your phone, MSA should still be disabled.
Turn off ads from the Downloads
- Open the Downloads app.
- Tap the hamburger menu > Settings.
- Disable the toggle for Show recommended content. You’ll get a prompt here as well, just select okay.
Turn off ads from the File Manager
- Open File Manager app.
- Tap the hamburger menu on the top left.
- Go to About > disable Recommendations.
Turn off ads in Mi Music
- Open the Music app.
- Head over to the hamburger menu > Service and settings
- Select Advanced settings > Receive recommendations.
- You can also disable other recommendations here like Online recommendations on startup and Song recommendations. Do note that disabling this will only turn off data collection from this app.