Showmax had announced earlier that the FIFA World Cup 2022 happening in Qatar would be streamed in 4K resolution (3840 by 2160) on their Pro subscription, however, I had a struggle trying to get the streams to load in 4K. If you’re having the same problem, here’s how I fixed it.
What you need to stream the FIFA World Cup in 4K
- First, you’ll need a 4K compatible device.
- Showmax says some 4K compatible LG devices are not supported. Check if your device is supported here
- You’ll also need an internet line speed of minimum 15Mbps.
- 4K streaming will use about 90MB per minute.
How do I activate 4K on my 4K-compatible device?
To start streaming in 4K, you will need to manually opt in on your device.
- Select the FIFA World Cup match you want to watch
- On your compatible device, you will see a round button that says “4K” at the top left next to the settings menu.
- Click on that button and you will have the option to choose between HD and 4K Ultra HD. Switch to 4K and that’s it.
If you happen to not find the 4K button next to the settings menu as I did, just update the app from the play store. If you have it updated, uninstall and install the app again.