Meta has today introduced a new feature to WhatsApp that adds an extra layer of security and privacy to users’ private conversations. This new feature allows users to lock specific chats using either a password or biometric authentication, ensuring that these conversations remain confidential and inaccessible to unauthorized individuals. Along with chat lock, Meta has implemented additional measures such as storing locked chats in a separate folder and hiding the name and content of the message in notifications until the user authenticates their identity.
WhatsApp has always claimed to be committed to safeguarding user privacy and security. The platform has implemented various features, including end-to-end encryption, encrypted chat backup, disappearing messages, and control over the last seen status. With the introduction of chat lock, Meta is further bolstering WhatsApp’s security measures, providing users with more control over the privacy of their conversations.
How to Enable Chat Lock on WhatsApp
Enabling chat lock on WhatsApp is a straightforward process. Here’s a step-by-step guide to setting it up on both Android and iOS devices:
- Download or Update WhatsApp: Ensure that you have the latest version of WhatsApp installed on your device. If not, visit your respective app store and download or update the app.
- Access the Specific Chat: Open WhatsApp and navigate to the chat that you want to lock. It can be an individual or group conversation.
- Click on the Profile Picture: Once you are in the desired chat, tap on the profile picture of the contact or group at the top of the screen.
- Find the “Chat Lock” Option: Scroll down in the profile settings, and you will see a new option called “Chat Lock.” It is located just below the disappearing message menu.
- Enable Chat Lock: Tap on the “Chat Lock” option, and you will be prompted to authenticate your identity. You can use your phone’s password or biometric authentication (fingerprint or face recognition) to enable chat lock.
- Successfully Locked: After authentication, the chat will be successfully locked, and it will require the same authentication method to access it in the future.
How to Access Locked Chats on WhatsApp
Accessing locked chats on WhatsApp is a simple process. Follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp: Launch the WhatsApp application on your device.
- Access Locked Chats: On the WhatsApp home page, swipe down to access the list of all your locked chats.
- Unlock Chats: Tap on the locked chat you want to access, and you will be prompted to authenticate your identity using your phone password or biometrics.
- View the Chat: After successful authentication, you will gain access to the locked chat, and you can read and interact with the messages as usual.