You can now enjoy videos with 8K (FUHD 4320p) resolution on your Android TV on YouTube. This is after Google announced that the video platform is rolling out the support for 8K videos for Android TVs running version 10 and above.
The feature is available through the latest version, 2.12.08. The changelog says that the new version adds “limited 8K support to Android 10 and up”. It’s not clear what “limited” means, but if you have a smart TV running Android 10 you can try it out.
Away from 8K videos support, YouTube’s new version has introduced support for Cast Connect. The update also brings improved resolution selection, and a YouTube Music splash screen.
Here’s the full changelog;
- Display YouTube Music splash screen
- Cast Connect support
- Limited 8K support to Android 10 and up
- Improved resolution selection
- Fixed incorrect date and time issues
- Various other platform improvements